Saturday, April 20, 2019

Scheme Of Operate Development

In March the Independent Teacher Workload Review Group recommended that "a fully resourced, collaboratively produced scheme-of-work should hold upward seat inwards house for all teachers for the offset of each term". This is meant to trim back workload, though of course of written report nosotros all know that creating in addition to maintaining a decent scheme of move is an enormous task.

Anyone who has worked at to a greater extent than than i schoolhouse knows that schemes of move vary hugely inwards format in addition to content. H5N1 adept scheme of work, when followed yesteryear all teachers, ensures consistent theme coverage across educational activity groups. I'm non proverb that teachers shouldn't hold upward allowed to become off on a tangent, only it's helpful for an incoming Year eleven instructor to yell to a GCSE scheme of move to reckon what topics their students studied inwards Year 10. And if educational activity groups alter year-on-year thus it makes life easier if all students studied the same topics inwards Year 10.

I'm working on my school's GCSE scheme of move at the instant in addition to I thought it mightiness hold upward useful to portion my thoughts in addition to experiences.

My previous school's GCSE scheme of move was created inwards Word, in addition to looked similar this:
It wasn't perfect, only it worked good in addition to had been inwards house for a publish of years. The sequence of topics was sensible, the timings worked in addition to the format was fairly user-friendly. Importantly, teachers could speedily access useful resources, saving them fourth dimension inwards lesson planning.

I moved schoolhouse terminal June in addition to flora that my novel schoolhouse used a timeline which was created inwards Excel. Having picked upward some ideas from Twitter (mainly @missradders - give cheers you!) I laid upward nigh turning their timeline into a fully resourced PowerPoint-based scheme of work.

The PowerPoint I've created opens alongside a timeline showing the guild of teaching, every bit shown below. Each theme is hyperlinked to a slide which contains to a greater extent than details nigh just what to teach.

At 7 lessons a fortnight we've been fairly tight on fourth dimension this twelvemonth only this allotment is increasing side yesteryear side year. I promise to complete educational activity novel topics to Year eleven yesteryear Easter only I've cautiously indicated on the scheme of move that nosotros may meet the summertime term, leaving rattling piddling fourth dimension for revision.

Clicking on a theme leads to a slide that sets out the specification (using extracts from AQA's Teaching Guidance) in addition to provides links to resources. Here's an example:

I've edited this format slightly for the Year eleven pages I've been working on lately, increasing clarity for Foundation teachers.

I discovery these pages rattling useful when I'm planning lessons - I tin reckon just what I'm meant to learn in addition to what resources are available for each topic. I yell upward it's working well.

So what's side yesteryear side for my scheme of work? Well the guild of topics didn't move brilliantly this twelvemonth thus nosotros demand a reshuffle for our side yesteryear side cohort of Year 10s. For example, linear graphs was taught prior to solving equations in addition to rearranging formulae, which doesn't brand sense. In full general the guild seemed a chip haphazard, thus I'll move on grouping in addition to ordering topics inwards an crusade to become far catamenia better.

I'd beloved to reckon your GCSE scheme of move if you're willing to portion it. I know that Craig Barton has late launched a novel GCSE scheme of move here - given the character of Craig's work, I'm certain this volition hold upward worth exploring.