Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Gem Awards 2016

On 27th Apr it's resourceaholic.com's instant birthday!

Gem Awards 2015. Since too therefore I've published an additional 28 updates from the globe of Maths EduTwitter. Today I convey yous some highlights from those posts. So heighten a drinking glass of champagne alongside me, too toast the winners of the second annual Gem Awards!

1. Best Game
The maths teachers at my schoolhouse honey Is this prime?. We learn students from Year seven through to Year xiii playing it inwards the classroom. We compete against each other inwards the Maths Office too. It's fun, addictive, accessible too surprisingly challenging. Top marks to Christian Lawson-Perfect for a wonderful game.
2. Best Teacher's Website
My favourite novel notice this yr is Gems 41 last October, includes worksheets too presentations suitable for high attainers, enrichment resources, Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 flat resources too more.
3. Best Gif
I honey gifs! I especially similar these The Joy of Planning'.
Special refer to this Order or Operations gif that I featured inwards Gems 46 - it withal makes me laugh!
4. Best Demonstration
Speaking of gifs, I've ever used an animation to demonstrate to my students that the outside angles of a polygon amount to 360o. I've never thought of doing this lovely newspaper demonstration instead. This was shared yesteryear Gems 32.
This is precisely the form of affair that Twitter is adept for - sharing pictures of things you've done inwards the classroom that other teachers may non get got thought of.

5. Best Prompt
Anything that prompts interesting flat give-and-take is worth a look. I actually similar these lovely statistics graphics which learn students thinking near the reliability of statistics. I used them inwards my foremost S1 lesson of the year. 
6. Best New GCSE Support
The most useful laid of resources for the novel GCSE is the collection of here.

Special refer also to AQA for their novel GCSE back upward too resources - their Teaching Guidance is fantastic too I honey their topic tests, which I oftentimes operate every bit homeworks.

7. Best Resources
Don Steward has ever been my favourite resources provider - inwards fact I gave him a Lifetime Achievement Award inwards terminal year's Gem Awards. His weblog is approaching its millionth persuasion too I hold off frontwards to hosting a #mathscpdchat adjacent calendar month inwards which I volition live bespeak people to part their favourite Don Steward resources.

Given that I already gave Don the Lifetime Achievement Award terminal year, this yr I get got decided that the 'Best Resources' accolade goes to MathsPad

MathsPad is packed total of bright resources. Some are gratis too some require subscription. The writers, James too Nicola, are constantly adding novel resources which are ever good designed too high quality. I oftentimes characteristic their resources inwards my gems posts.

I also desire to refer a distich to a greater extent than resources that I discovered inwards the terminal year.
  • I honey angle chases! They're lots of fun. I was delighted when Mo from Gems 35
  • In Gems 48 I shared a resources from Dan Walker on TES. He has taken problems from Junior too Intermediate Maths Challenges too organised them yesteryear topic inwards a PowerPoint, alongside solutions. This, along alongside Leanne Shaw's novel website Maths Problem Solving, way that it's directly much easier to notice work solving activities for specific topics.

8. Best Revision Idea
I honey Mel's Gems 42 and constitute it worked actually good inwards fast paced revision lessons alongside her Year 11s. She has uploaded her adaptation of this resources to TES. I hold off frontwards to using it alongside my Year 11s.
Special refer to John Corbett for sharing his revision thought which involves sending packs of goodies to students at Christmas. Read Gems 35. I shout out back it's actually of import to laid clear exceptions for students at the commencement of the year.
John Corbett had a lovely idea, featured inwards Gems 39 - he put stationery baskets too photograph frames on desks. The frames display Nikki's presentation standards. The motion painting tin live changed regularly, for event to display information near revision sessions, star students too therefore on.
Other 'Bright Ideas' that deserve a special refer include Some Things I've Tried'; and Gems 39 for to a greater extent than on this.

That's it for the 2016 Gem Awards! What a fantastic collection of ideas too resources. If yous desire to read to a greater extent than Maths Gems, there's an index here.

Thank yous to everyone who tweets near what they've tried inwards their classroom. Please maintain doing so! I've been on Twitter for ii years directly too I withal can't learn plenty of all the resources, inspiration too support. Long may it continue.