Friday, April 12, 2019

5 Maths Gems #67

Welcome to my 67th gems post. This is where I percentage the latest ideas in addition to resources I've seen on Twitter. I used to write i of these posts every week simply I straightaway combat to honour the time, in addition to therefore this is my start gems post service since November. I convey some crackers for you lot today though!

1. Polygons
Ed Southall's (@solvemymaths) start video is good worth a watch. It explores the terminology, etymology in addition to construction of naming polygons. I'm straightaway eagerly looking ahead to when I side past times side instruct geometry in addition to therefore I tin hand notice percentage this alongside my students!



2. My Favourite No
I start watched this video years agone simply I've never pose it inwards a gems post service before. Thanks to Stephen Godwin (@stevejodwin) for reminding me close it later it appeared inwards Doug Lemov's recent spider web log post service 'My Favorite No: Mistaking Knowledge Problems for Skill Problems'. Do sentinel the video below - it features a vivid action for exploring misconceptions.


3.  Primitives
I shared the lovely Furbles inwards Gems 21, simply hadn't spotted the 'Primitives application' on the same website. This has been closed to for many years, simply thank you lot to John G (@mathhombre) for latterly sharing it on Twitter. This lovely interactive factorisation tool is actually expert for exploring numbers.
Primitives posters in addition to pedagogy ideas are available from the ATM.

4. Euler's Number
Numberphile published a novel video close e end week. I actually enjoyed this video in addition to project design to demo it to my Year 13s side past times side term.



5. Notepad Calculator
Colin Beveridge (@icecolbeveridge) tweeted close this first-class NotePad Calculator. I'm non certain whether I'll honour it useful inwards the classroom simply I dearest it anyway in addition to therefore persuasion it was worth sharing.

Update
I've published half dozen spider web log posts since Gems 66. They're listed hither inwards representative you lot missed them:

Do depository fiscal establishment fit out Don Steward's blog besides - he's published a lot of novel resources lately.

You mightiness also last interested inwards Dr Frost's revision advice for Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree students in addition to Colin Beveridge's examine technique tips for the novel GCSE.

I'll exit you lot alongside this animation of the surface expanse of a sphere, shared past times Damian Ainscough (@damianainscough).