Saturday, April 20, 2019

5 Maths Gems #59

Welcome to my 59th update from the globe of Maths EduTwitter. Here I summarise some of the latest ideas too resources for teaching maths.

First I desire to state give thank yous you! Today I reached a milestone - resourceaholic.com has had over 1 meg views since my get-go blog post, which I wrote when I was heavily important dorsum inwards Apr 2014. Since too thus I've been busy, publishing guide to resourceaholic.com helpful. Thank yous to all my readers too contributors, too to those who regularly role too recommend my resources libraries. I genuinely appreciate the support.
On amongst the gems...

1. Increasingly Difficult Questions
I similar @taylorda01's novel laid of 'increasingly hard questions'. In lessons I oft inquire my students to endeavor some practise questions from the board thus I tin banking concern check their understanding, earlier moving on to a lengthier task. This growing banking concern of questions volition endure useful.
2. Arithmetic Vocabulary 
I beloved these graphics shared by @mathemaniac. They mightiness brand practiced displays for a maths classroom.
3. More Displays
I also similar these Command Word Posters from Christine Norledge (@MissNorledge). She get-go published these concluding yr but somehow I missed them at the time.
This lovely Join #TeamMaths in which I talked nearly my latest Twitter project
  • Warwick 2016 in which I reviewed Edexcel's Warwick conference too shared materials from my workshop 'The Wonderful World of Maths Resources'
  • Scheme of Work Development in which I shared some thoughts too experiences of GCSE Schemes of Work

  • I also presented a workshop called 'Perfect Polynomials' at the FMSP's London KS5 Network Day concluding Fri - yous tin download the materials here.

    I was interested to come across that Boolean Maths Hub is running a ii day summer school for simply about 75 students to deal span the gap betwixt GCSE too Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 level. If this goes good I wonder if to a greater extent than hubs volition follow their Pb side past times side summer. I'm also impressed past times the locomote done past times the White Rose Maths Hub lately in developing schemes of locomote too resources - including lots of back upward for main teachers. 

    Did yous come across that MEI has released a sequel to their awesome Sumaze App?  Check out Sumaze! 2.

    If you're looking for resources for destination of term lessons (when yous solely stimulate got a one-half a course of pedagogy or one-half a lesson thus can't learn novel topics), banking concern check out my post End of Term Resources. Also, don't forget Chris Smith's Summer Holiday Relay Race

    Open Evening
    I wrote a post nearly ideas for Open Evening a couplet of years ago. Some of yous won't stimulate got Open Evening until September but nosotros had ours concluding week, thus here's a quick update on some novel things nosotros tried this year...

    In 1 classroom nosotros played Memory Maths from flashmaths.co.uk. This game has been simply about for years but I've non used it before. It was genuinely fun! We gathered together groups of competitors (visiting children, their parents, Year vii too Year 12 tour guides, passing teachers...), too gave them each a mini-whiteboard. Questions flashed upward on the board too players had to write downward the answers if too when they could. It worked good - I beloved activities that engage every historic menstruum group.

    In some other room nosotros had a tabular array ready amongst lots of Numeracy Ninjas sheets. Visiting children too our pupil tour guides sat downward too completed equally much equally they could, too when their fourth dimension was upward nosotros marked what they'd done too gave them a corresponding ninja sticker. We've been using Numeracy Ninjas at Key Stage iii for the concluding few months too it's been going genuinely good thus it was practiced to give prospective students a sense of savour of something they volition genuinely create inwards maths lessons. Us teachers all had a larn besides too enjoyed wearing our stickers later (we're a competitive department!).

    That's it from me. I'll larn out yous amongst a lovely enquiry from AQA that genuinely stumped my Year 10s. It's a double bounds question, inwards reverse, amongst discrete data. It takes some thinking!