Friday, April 12, 2019

Favourite Posts Of 2016

ten most viewed posts of 2016. Today I've written a dissimilar list. These are my personal favourites from 2016 - the posts that I most enjoyed writing, or am most proud of, fifty-fifty if they didn't acquire many views.

1. Trigonometry Questions and Pythagoras Questions
In these 2 posts I featured roughly of my favourite novel GCSE questions for Pythagoras together with Trigonometry. There are roughly awesome questions hither which I actually enjoyed using inwards my lessons.

2. The Folder Experiment
I was surprised yesteryear how many people had a persuasion on using band binders instead of practise books with Year 11!

3. New GCSE: Capture-Recapture
My schoolhouse doesn't utilization Edexcel for GCSE so I don't remove to instruct this topic, but I had fun finding out most it. It's a lovely fleck of proportional reasoning. If y'all instruct Edexcel GCSE, y'all mightiness notice this post service helpful.

4. Multiplying Negatives
I wishing my weblog was 100% dependent area cognition posts. I'll attempt to produce to a greater extent than of them inwards 2017. Here I talked most diverse approaches to explaining why a negative times a negative is a positive.

5. Maths School Trips
When Legoland invited me to visit, I was conflicted. I direct hold strict rules most non advertising on my blog. But I actually wanted to become to Legoland, together with the chance to direct hold my household unit of measurement at that topographic point for complimentary (on my daughter's birthday no less!) was i I couldn't refuse. Thankfully their Mindstorms workshop was amazing, so I had no qualms most giving it a positive write-up (alongside other destinations for maths schoolhouse trips). I'm fond of this post service because it reminds me of my daughter's sec birthday.

6. Useful GCSE Questions from Linked Pair Papers
I was a fleck grumpy most having to instruct Linked Pair GCSE final yr but it turned out to move a useful experience. Linked Pair GCSE questions were frequently fantabulous together with I featured roughly of my favourites inwards this post.

7. Gem Awards 2016
Two together with a one-half years agone I joined Twitter whilst on motherhood leave. I was overwhelmed yesteryear the quantity of teaching ideas together with resources so I started writing a weekly gems post service to hold rails of it all. When I returned to move I couldn't maintain the frequency of the posts, but I yet write i or 2 gems posts each month. I regularly refer dorsum to them when planning lessons. In my annual Gems Awards post service I featured roughly of my favourite gems from the previous year.

8. A Level Reforms: First Thoughts
I wishing at that topographic point were to a greater extent than maths teachers blogging most H5N1 level. With the novel specifications launching inwards September, it's going to move of import to collaborate with other H5N1 score maths teachers during 2017. I promise to play a role inwards facilitating discussions together with sharing resources together with ideas. 

One of the best things most writing this post service was the tweet from the air traffic controller...

10. ♫ You order zero, I order nought ♫
Perhaps no i else is interested inwards whether people order null or nought, but I thought it was fascinating!

11. Worries
The shortage of maths teachers is causing problems inwards so many schools. It continues to direct hold a detrimental consequence on children all over the country. I wrote this post service when I was feeling especially anxious most the whole situation, together with flora that many of my readers shared my concerns. Later inwards the yr I wrote 'GCSE reform - volition it work?' in which I shared to a greater extent than concerns most the big issues inwards maths education. Nothing has changed since so - my concerns yet stand.

12. The Joy of Planning
Naveen wrote a TES article most how swell it is non to invention her ain lessons because it gives her fourth dimension to educate her dependent area knowledge. I sure as shooting empathise Naveen's hollo for - nosotros could all produce with to a greater extent than fourth dimension for dependent area cognition development. When the article was published, roughly prominent bloggers jumped on the thought of scripted lessons. On Twitter, the thought speedily developed into i where all lessons are standardised. I watched with sadness equally tweeters enthusiastically discussed taking away my favourite role of the job. I tweeted my occupation organisation - that teachers wouldn't enjoy delivering scripted lessons - together with I was defendant of selfishly putting my ain happiness earlier children's learning. This may good move true, but it upset me. Rather than argue, I decided to issue a positive post, 'The Joy of Planning', most how much pleasance I move out of the procedure of planning together with delivering lessons. I received lots of lovely comments on Twitter from teachers who besides actually relish planning lessons. It's overnice to know I'm non alone.


So that's it - my favourite weblog posts of 2016. I thoroughly enjoyed writing these posts together with promise that I tin flaming hold to portion my experiences together with ideas inwards 2017.