Thursday, April 11, 2019

5 Maths Gems #68

Welcome to my 68th update from the basis of Maths EduTwitter. This is where I percentage or in addition to hence of the latest ideas in addition to resources for didactics maths.

1. Fractions Challenges
Whilst searching online for an extension activity for my fractions lesson, I institute this Extension Activities Workbook. There's or in addition to hence groovy fractions stuff inward hither summation or in addition to hence prissy tasks for other topics. I especially similar 'Trail Blazers' on Page 28.
2. What's inward the Middle?
Mr Taylor (@taylorda01) has created an activity called 'What's inward the Middle'. These questions could generate groovy degree discussion.

3. Alternative Methods
I'm actually interested inward choice mathematical methods, inward fact I ran an entire SCITT preparation solar daytime on it this week. With my trainees I explored unlike methods for finding a highest mutual factor, factorising harder quadratics, solving quadratic inequalities, in addition to diverse other topics. Exploring novel methods e'er sparks debate. Two interesting methods were shared on Twitter this week.

This choice method for subtracting was shared yesteryear Chris Smith (@aap03102) inward his weekly newsletter. You tin subscribe to his lovely newsletter yesteryear emailing aap03102@gmail.com.
This choice method for dividing fractions was shared yesteryear Ed Southall (@solvemymaths):

Ed's novel majority 'Yes, merely why? Teaching for agreement inward mathematics' comes out inward March.

4. Number Properties Challenge
I similar this activity from Stephen Bodman (@stephenbodman). Give students 3 or 4 random digits in addition to they convey to generate numbers amongst specific properties.


5. Misconceptions 
Thanks to Nisha de Alwis (@nishadealwis) for sharing this 'Misconceptions in addition to Errors' document. This listing of misconceptions mightiness endure useful when you're planning to learn a novel topic. For representative inward the fractions department it includes a publish of misconceptions that I convey latterly identified inward my Year seven class.
I've added this link to my Misconceptions Page.

Update
Did yous grab my latest weblog posts?

I've had a busy week. I travelled to St Helens on Mon to introduce on novel GCSE topics at North West 3 Maths Hub. On Midweek I delivered a amount solar daytime of preparation to my SCITT trainees. I showed them the video below which features 2 teachers amongst unlike (but as effective) styles didactics the same lesson on factorising quadratics:



One of the things I similar most this video is that it shows that it doesn't thing whether yous convey a reserved mode or you're to a greater extent than exuberant - skilful didactics doesn't depend on personality.

It's non long directly until #mathsconf9 in Bristol - it looks similar in that location are or in addition to hence groovy workshops at this one. I promise to run into yous there.

I'll larn out yous amongst this splendid 'Eight Disks' puzzle from Duane Habecker (@dhabecker). Enjoy!