Wednesday, April 10, 2019

5 Maths Gems #69

Welcome to my 69th update from the globe of Maths EduTwitter. This is where I part closed to of the latest ideas together with resources for didactics maths.

1. New Diagnostic Questions Collections 
I exercise diagnosticquestions.com every calendar week to do multiple selection quizzes for my classes. I especially similar the questions provided yesteryear AQA, OCR together with Edexcel. Recently I've also been making exercise of the novel questions provided yesteryear White Rose Maths Hub. These are designed for primary students but select worked good amongst my Year 7s.
I'm pleased to come across that novel themed collections from the Great Britain Mathematics Trust volition available soon. These volition go helpful for both stretch together with challenge inwards lessons together with for UKMT maths challenge preparation.
2. Don's Blogs
I've written virtually Don Steward's resources many times. He is 1 of my favourite maths resources authors. His top dog weblog donsteward.blogspot.co.uk is packed amount of wonderful rich tasks for a broad arrive at of topics. Don has a few other blogs that are also good worth exploring:
Don also has a weblog 'core pure iii notes' amongst lovely clear slides together with questions for Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 score together with 'MEDIAN + ICT choices' where he shares lots of first-class websites together with technologies.

Follow @Team_Maths1 on Twitter for regular updates of Don Steward's latest resources (this is merely me on closed to other account!).

3. Arrays
Ed Southall (@solvemymaths) made closed to other video! This 1 is on multiplication arrays.



If y'all missed Ed's first-class polygons video, banking concern tally out Gems 67.

4. Breaking Down the Big Questions
Thanks to Mr Chadburn (@mrchadburn) for sharing an interesting novel resources idea. Some of the bigger GCSE questions require a issue of unlike strands of noesis together with skill. He breaks these large questions downward into these strands together with has students practise each strand separately earlier bringing it all together to address the bigger problem. Mr Chadburn has blogged virtually this together with shared 2 resources here.
There are lots of GCSE questions that would function good amongst this approach - this challenging inquiry from a Churchill Maths paper is a skilful example.
I intend this sentiment powerfulness function good at Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 score too.

5. crashMATHS
Website crashmaths.com shares GCSE together with A level exercise papers which are good worth a look. Through their Twitter employment organization human relationship (@crashMATHS_CM) they volition go sharing daily questions inwards the sew together to GCSE exams.
Update
It's been a busy few weeks. I've been doing closed to function for TES, helping to laid topic-specific pages of recommended gratuitous resources - I volition part these pages when they are published. Whilst doing this function I discovered that the novel GCSE topic 'area nether a graph' was rather under-resourced, together with thence I created a span of novel resources: area nether a graph and exam questions. They're nil special but hopefully fill upward a gap.

I've also been busy adding lots of first-class novel resources links to my resource libraries.

Did y'all grab my latest post? I wrote an article for teachwire.net virtually maths clubs for both primary together with secondary schools.

My schoolhouse is advertising 2 roles for a September 2017 start: Maths Teacher together with Lead Practitioner. It's a peachy schoolhouse together with the members of the maths faculty are actually lovely together with thence if y'all alive inwards Surrey or South London together with y'all fancy trying something new, do brand it touch. I'm happy to respond whatever questions if you're unsure virtually applying - electronic mail me at resourceaholic@gmail.com.

I promise to come across lots of y'all at #mathsconf9 inwards Bristol side yesteryear side month. There are closed to fantastic workshops lined up. Most people are staying at the Travel Lodge - at that topographic point volition go a gratuitous shuttle autobus from the hotel to the conference on the Sabbatum morning. If you're staying over, bring together us for drinks on the Fri night! Details to follow.

I'll exit y'all with this lovely map of mathematics by @DominicWalliman - give thank y'all you to @Mathematical_A for sharing this.