Wednesday, May 8, 2019

5 Maths Gems #38

Hello as well as welcome to my 38th gems post. This is where I percentage v teaching ideas I've seen on Twitter. As teachers start making plans as well as preparing resources for September, there's been a flurry of inspiring ideas on Twitter - I tin barely boot the bucket on up!

1. Tessellation
It's quite rare that there's exciting intelligence inwards the footing of mathematics, precisely we've of late seen the regain of a novel type of Surrounding a Point activity from Don Steward pictured below. Mathigon has a lovely tessellation department featuring overnice pictures as well as an online tool.
I've never seen tessellation animations earlier as well as then thank y'all to @MathsMastery for sharing these, I'll purpose them the side yesteryear side fourth dimension I learn tessellation.
2. Displays
There's been lots of tweets as well as posts virtually displays this week. I similar these lovely vinyl corridor displays from @cOmplexnumber.
I also similar this increment mindset display from English linguistic communication teacher Rebecca Foster (Gems 3, precisely would stand upward for on a smaller noticeboard. 
One of my favourite classroom display ideas is the judgement stems display from Gems 26. It's skillful to bring displays that are of existent purpose to students throughout the year.
It's worth reading Paul Collins' (post virtually the novel displays he's lay upward inwards his classroom as well as corridors.

3. History of Maths
I don't know rattling much virtually the history of maths as well as that's a non bad shame. It's a priority for me to meliorate my champaign of report noesis inwards this area. I intend to start yesteryear aid @Kris_Boulton's workshop at the side yesteryear side maths conference.

Kris' post A History of Maths features a timeline showing people as well as societies of cardinal influence inwards mathematics. It also shows cardinal publications as well as ideas. The picture below is exclusively a rattling pocket-size extract - bring a human face through the amount timeline. It's fascinating to encounter the social club of things. Perhaps display this inwards your classroom as well as say your students virtually the origins of the topics they're studying.
4. Challenge Questions for Year 12
Stuart Price ‏(@sxpmaths) has collated unopen to AS stretch as well as challenge questions for inwardness topics. They tin endure accessed here. Thanks Stuart for this helpful resource.
If y'all learn Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 score as well as are coming to the maths conference inwards Sheffield on 26th September, produce come upward along to my workshop virtually Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 score resources.

5. Exit Tickets
Many maths teachers purpose larn out tickets inwards every lesson. The stance is that y'all laid a unmarried inquiry or curt laid of questions at the halt of the lesson as well as analyse the results. Typically students would paw their larn out ticket to y'all equally they leave of absence the classroom. It's of import to boot the bucket on the questions unproblematic – if students larn them incorrect y'all request to know why. It's an effective agency of identifying misconceptions as well as deciding whether students are laid to motion on. 

Lesley Hall (RAG123.
Update
I've published 4 weblog posts inwards the final calendar week as well as I bring unopen to other 4 posts inwards draft - I actually request to halt all the blogging as well as pass unopen to fourth dimension preparing my offset lessons! Here's what I've been upward to since my final gems post:
  • I was chuffed that my weblog appeared on Vuelio's Words to Avoid page - these are definitely worth a read.
  • I was rattling pleased that @oldandrewuk as well as @Just_Maths set upward an Echo Chamber specifically for U.K. maths didactics blogs. Follow @MathsEcho to boot the bucket on up-to-date alongside all the latest posts.
  • I popped into schoolhouse and, borrowing a lovely stance from Danielle Bartram (@MissBsResources), lay Maths Mr Men stickers from @solvemymaths on my new calculators as well as then I tin boot the bucket on rail of them.

Finally, 4 reminders:
  • If y'all haven't already done so, y'all tin 'like' my new Facebook page for updates.
  • #mathstlp volition supply at 7pm on Lord's Day 30th August for lesson planning advice.
  • My tangents as well as areas is worth reading if you're teaching GCSE side yesteryear side year.
  • Check out my hashtag #mathsgems for inspiring ideas from previous gems posts.

That's it from me. I'll leave of absence y'all alongside this overnice puzzle from the ATM (@ATMMathematics).