Wednesday, September 4, 2019

5 Maths Gems #37

Hello as well as welcome to my 37th gems post. This is where I part around of the best maths teaching ideas I've seen on Twitter. If y'all bask reading these posts as well as thus y'all mightiness similar to explore my novel hashtag #mathsgems to view highlights from previous posts.

Last calendar week I attended #pieandmaths - this was an trial organised past times La Salle Education inwards which a grouping of maths teachers got together to utter over issues inwards maths education. It was a bully twenty-four hr current as well as I've included a curt write-up at the terminate of this post.

I get got a surplus of gems this calendar week thus here's the starting fourth dimension five, alongside v to a greater extent than to follow subsequently this week.

1. Brilliant Indices Question
I starting fourth dimension wrote most Gems 21. I 'like' Brilliant's Facebook page which agency I acquire regular maths problems inwards my Facebook feed. Since I joined Twitter I haven't used Facebook much, simply I've been on in that place quite a flake this calendar week working on my novel Facebook page. Luckily that agency that I spotted this awesome interrogation from Brilliant:
My Year 12s volition endure treated to this inwards September! 

2. 1001 Math Problems
Thanks to Denise Gaskins (@letsplaymath) for sharing the website 1001 Math Problems. This American website was created equally a rootage of problem-solving activities for unproblematic as well as middle schoolhouse children. The problems are accessible as well as engaging. Solutions are included.

Here's a lovely example, taken from the choice of puzzles that explore factors/divisibility:
The problems are mainly suitable for Key Stage two as well as 3. I dearest 'The Spilled Juice Problem'.

3. Simulations
Last August I wrote a post service Animations as well as Simulations, as well as since as well as thus I've occasionally featured animations inwards my gems posts, similar this lovely demonstration of the expanse of a circle from Gems 12.
One of my favourite simulation websites is PhET Interactive Simulations which I'm told is peculiarly useful for teaching Mechanics at Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 level. Some of the simulations on PhET are suitable for Key Stage three as well as 4, such equally this estimation activity. Do get got a play alongside this activity, it's great.
Thanks to a tweet from @ChristinaGawlik I've also discovered the lately revamped website www.explorelearning.com. This is the 'world's largest library of math as well as scientific discipline simulations'. These simulations (called Gizmos) are actually good. Unfortunately unless y'all pay a subscription, y'all tin move alone access each Gizmo for 5 minutes. Worth a aspect though.

4. VideoScribe
Chris Smith (@aap03102) shared an impressive promotional video for his newsletters. He said it alone took him xv minutes to brand this video as well as I didn't believe him! I prepare a trial of VideoScribe and constitute out he was correct - it's real quick to brand a video using this software. Here's my crusade - a fun (but pointless!) promo video for resourceaholic.com:



I was wondering if in that place were whatever opportunities to usage this software inwards the classroom when I coincidentally stumbled across this Classroom Expectations video from Cathy Yenca (@mathycathy):



Since starting at a novel schoolhouse as well as having to produce 'proper' deportment administration for the starting fourth dimension time, I've realised the importance of setting expectations for students. I retrieve this approach mightiness brand those expectations to a greater extent than memorable (and fifty-fifty if it doesn't, it's fun to brand the video!). Cathy says, "I conception to present this brief video I created using a free 7-day trial of VideoScribe as well as give students a difficult re-create of classroom expectations to create total inwards a few blanks equally they watch. I may present this several times during the starting fourth dimension few weeks of school, post service it on my website, as well as generate a QR code to link to it when individual needs a reminder".

I spotted Cathy's video inwards her fantabulous post service Primary Maths page which links to blogs as well as resources. I updated my tangents as well as areas based on the novel GCSE specification.

Pie as well as Maths
La Salle Education is a companionship dedicated to improving mathematics education. I dearest La Salle's conferences as well as volition endure presenting at their side past times side conference inwards Sheffield inwards September. Last calendar week La Salle hosted an trial called Pie as well as Maths which was attended past times around of my Twitter buddies, thus it was a proficient run a hazard to grab upwards alongside people as well as utter most maths.

The trial started alongside a demonstration of Complete Mathematics. This is a actually impressive organization as well as if you've non seen it earlier as well as thus it's worth exploring - La Salle tin move come upwards to your schoolhouse to demonstrate it. I actually back upwards the underlying principles of Complete Mathematics - it has the potential to endure the ultimate collaboration tool for maths teachers. The content as well as functionality get got developed good since I starting fourth dimension saw it final summer. The interface is actually user-friendly, allowing teachers to efficiently conception lessons alongside access to well-written objectives, pedagogical notes, resources as well as assessment tools. Complete Mathematics currently covers Key Stage 1 through to GCSE. New content is existence developed for Core Maths, providing much needed construction as well as resources for this novel post-16 qualification.
Can y'all cite the Twitter handles?
We enjoyed a lovely luncheon as well as and thus went to the pub for a debate, led past times Mark McCourt (@EmathsUK). We discussed a number of issues including behaviour, parenting, teaching methods, instructor grooming as well as research.

Afterwards nosotros had lots of fourth dimension to chat as well as play maths games - I ended upwards tied to Bruno Reddy (@MrReddyMaths). This video shows how nosotros got out of it (well done Bruno, I had no idea!).
Thanks to La Salle as well as Mark McCourt for organising a actually enjoyable event. I loved catching upwards alongside Twitter friends as well as coming together novel people - here's the listing of attendees (sorry if I've missed anyone!): @getdiagnostics, @nishadealwis, @mrdrapermaths, @naveenfrizvi, @MissBsResources, @MissBaileyMaths, @kris_boulton, @DrTrapezio, @craigos87, @EJmaths, @tessmaths, @ColinTheTrainer, @MrMattock, @dannytybrown, @RJS2212, @mrreddymaths, @mathsatschool, @MrBenWard, @xanbritt, @CubbonSue as well as @mathsjem.

That's it for today's post. Good luck alongside GCSE results everyone! I'll acquire out y'all alongside this cute Nonagon video shared past times @solvemymaths.