Tuesday, September 11, 2012

5 Maths Gems #98

Welcome to my 98th gems post. This is where I portion only about of the latest news, ideas too resources for maths teachers.

1. Area Activity
Thanks to @MrNiksMathClass for sharing a prissy activity inwards which students apply their cognition of surface area formulae.


2. Triangle Puzzles
John Rowe (area mazes. They tin all live solved without using fractions or decimals.
3. Standard Form
Thank you lot to Gillian Mathewson (@gmathewson1) for sharing a standard shape variation grid. I similar the means students convert to expanded shape earlier converting to touchstone shape - it's a skillful banking concern stand upward for that they actually sympathise what's going on. I've added this to my number resources library.
4. Multiplying Fractions
Mary-Kate Connolly (@MKConnolly1991) shared a moving painting of her board which shows how she explains fraction multiplication. Note the role of colour to back upward the explanation.
Here's the same approach explained inwards 'Polish Up Your Mathematics’ past times Fawdry which was published inwards 1945.
5. Mock Season
If you lot convey Year xi mocks coming upward (I'm marker them at the moment!) hence don't forget that I published a mock revision weblog post last year. My GCSE 9- 1 revision post might likewise live helpful - it contains a long listing of fantabulous GCSE revision resources.

New to my revision page is a unit conversions quiz - this goes amongst the formula quiz I made a distich of years ago.

If you lot desire to impress personalised booklets for your Year 11s based on their private functioning inwards mock exams hence you'll live pleased to listen that PinPoint Learning has a gratuitous lawsuit until 29th Jan 2019. The June 2018 QLAs are available hence if you lot used these papers for your mocks hence PinPoint is all ready to go.
Updates
In instance you lot missed it, my latest post was on map scale. I wrote close approaches too resources for this undertaught too underesourced GCSE topic.

I likewise wrote 'Turing for the Fifty' which tells the story of the fourth dimension I worked inwards banknotes at the Bank of England, too why I am especially excited that there's an chance to nominate a mathematician for the novel l pound note.

I've laid upward a novel Instagram account to portion maths teaching ideas too inspiration hence create follow me if you're an Instagram user. I volition all the same live sharing updates on Twitter too Facebook equally usual. And if you lot desire to acquire my weblog posts past times e-mail hence you lot tin subscribe here.

I'm real excited to live approaching a milestone - I promise to lay out my 100th gems post inwards December, too volition celebrate past times recording a special maths gems podcast with Craig Barton.

My resource libraries convey been real busy lately - I'm glad teachers honour them useful when planning lessons. My Topics inwards Depth page has likewise had a lot of visits equally a large issue of original teachers convey discovered that I convey a actually useful laid of original packs there. I convey been updating my conferences page with novel events too my pret homework site with novel contributions.

If you're based inwards London, don't forget to bring together to i of my Maths Hub workgroups. We already convey a large issue of Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 grade teachers signed upward up for the A grade workgroup which is actually exciting. In the GCSE workgroup nosotros volition live working on ratio too unit of measurement conversions. I convey done lots of query into these topics lately hence I am excited to portion what I've found.

Next weekend I'm going to the Maths Jam annual gathering with friends - I can't wait! What a corking means to pass a weekend.

I'll leave of absence you lot with this fun fractions activity that I flora inwards ‘Fundamental Arithmetic’ past times P B Ballard which was published belatedly 1920s.