Wednesday, September 12, 2012

5 Maths Gems #96

Welcome to my 96th gems post. This is where I part some of the latest news, ideas together with resources for maths teachers.

1. Starting Points
Chris McGrane (@ChrisMcGrane84) has started a novel website startingpointsmaths.blogspot.com where he shares a collection of tasks together with starting points to assist teachers innovation for richer together with to a greater extent than effective learning experiences. The collection includes rich tasks together with intelligent do for topics from Key Stage iii to Key Stage 5. There are loads of lovely activities to explore thus produce see the website together with have got a await around. Tasks include suggested pedagogy points together with questions for give-and-take amongst learners.
2. Mysteries
Thanks to Richard Perring (@LearningMaths) for sharing a couplet of nifty maths mystery activities - i for completing the square together with i for the nth term of a linear sequence. The thought is that learners collate the information from the cards inwards monastic nation to solve the overall problem.
If you lot similar these together with thus purchase Richard's ebook Talking Maths, published yesteryear the ATM, which contains lots of similar activities.

These tasks remind me of the Durham Maths Mysteries which many teachers have got recommended to me over the years.

3. Maths Club Activities
Thanks to Emily Fleming who helps to run a charity called SAMI that supports maths clubs inwards Africa for emailing me a free9 - 1 GCSE Revision page.

Lots of nifty materials has been shared on Twitter lately thus I'll have got some other gems post out soon. Isn't it lovely that one-half term is only around the corner? Over one-half term I promise to complete off a issue of posts that I've been working on for a while.

#mathsconf17
It was shame I couldn't sit down downwards for my park post-conference chat amongst Craig yesterday! Alas, he was on holiday. Hopefully nosotros volition hold out dorsum amongst to a greater extent than mathsconf podcasts side yesteryear side year.

Rather than part a detailed write upwardly of the day, I volition only complete my gems post amongst a few give thank you lot yous. Thank you lot to La Salle Education for i time again running a huge Sabbatum lawsuit at a real depression toll for maths teachers, allowing us to attend high lineament CPD that nosotros otherwise would non have got access to. Thank you lot to Rob Smith for doing a 1000000 things at i time including the raffle, tuck shop, MA stand upwardly together with ATM stand. Thank you lot to everyone who presented sessions, together with everyone who said hi together with shared their thoughts amongst me, together with everyone who said encouraging things, together with everyone who complimented me on my maths dress! I'm miserable I had to rush around everywhere all solar daytime - I had a lot to do! I thus dear chatting to maths teachers. Special cry out to Jo Locke together with David Faram.

I didn't produce a topics inwards depth session this fourth dimension because I wanted to produce something related to onetime textbooks. I focused on quadratics. I intend there's a existent lack of this form of dependent plain noesis CPD for teachers, thus I wanted that to hold out my focus this fourth dimension rather than something pedagogical. I intend it was good received. My slides are here (they brand to a greater extent than feel amongst my commentary!) - download them to run into the references inwards the notes.

I immediately have got xc guests coming to #latemaths. I'm excited to denote that I volition immediately hold out selling mathematical earrings at that spot also (great stocking fillers!), on locomote yesteryear of all the other entertainment. There are 10 tickets left together with you lot have got i calendar week earlier sales close! See latemaths.weebly.com for details. 



I'll acquire out you lot amongst this lovely puzzle, shared yesteryear Rachael Horsman (@Rach_Read)