Thursday, September 5, 2019

Pret Homework

At #TMEpsom today - which was hosted past times my lovely novel school, Glyn - I did a curt presentation almost Pret Homeworks. This post service tells the storey of Pret Homeworks - where they came from, how they work, why they're peachy together with what's coming next.

Background
Last summertime Kathryn Forster, Head of Maths at the TES 'Creative School of the Year' 2015 Seaham School of Technology, tweeted some pictures of a novel homework template she'd devised. It was lucky I spotted this tweet inwards my busy Twitter feed because it turned out to hold out the start of something big.
The homework pictured below is 1 of Kathryn's master designs. The Skill Practice element is what most criterion maths homeworks involve, together with remains essential, precisely nosotros also accept an additional iv elements:
  • The Literacy chemical ingredient requires students to acquire the spellings together with definitions of fundamental words. 
  • The Memory chemical ingredient requires students to memorise facts or formulae. 
  • The Research chemical ingredient is a curt independent inquiry task. 
  • The Stretch chemical ingredient provides some to a greater extent than challenging questions.
So the pattern covers knowledge, skills together with enrichment all inwards 1 place.

Kathryn's homeworks are used inwards conjunction amongst peer-assessed Homework Checks inwards class, similar the Literacy together with Memory Check pictured below.
When I showtime saw Kathryn's catch I absolutely loved it so I featured her homeworks inwards my weblog post service 5 Maths Gems #3 back inwards August 2014. Kathryn together with I together with so made a few to a greater extent than homeworks, together with I created a page on my weblog containing links to our modest collection. 

I decided nosotros needed a bespeak this homework format. here. If Pret Homework were a trace concern together with so Kathryn would hold out Head of R&D, I'd hold out Head of Marketing, together with the contributors would hold out our brilliantly creative workforce. My sincere thank yous goes to every 1 of them.
Variations 
Although all the homeworks on prethomework.weebly.com are for maths, this homework format plant good inwards other subjects. I've seen adaptations for both Science together with English. I also intend the homework format would function good inwards primary school. Our collection currently ranges from Key Stage 2 to Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 flat including Further Maths.

The pattern plant good for classwork too. Danielle Bartram has made a expose of worksheets which were inspired past times the Pret Homework format.
Perimeter worksheet from missbsresources.com
Feedback 
I of late asked on Twitter for feedback from teachers who role Pret Homeworks. I received loads of enthusiastic replies. Some schools are right away using these equally criterion homeworks across the maths department, inwards other schools 1 or 2 teachers are using them every right away together with then. Either way, the feedback is excellent. Teachers written report that the character of function submitted is frequently high together with that students bask completing Pret Homeworks.

Thanks to all the teachers who shared examples of students' work. It's amazing to meet Pret Homeworks inwards action! 

Pret Homeworks also featured equally Craig Barton's Resource of the Week inwards Nov 2014.

What's adjacent for Prets?
The collection of Pret Homeworks continues to grow. Eventually I may demand to upgrade the website to acquire inwards easier to search past times topic together with Key Stage.

During the adjacent schoolhouse twelvemonth I promise to meet to a greater extent than Pret Homeworks for Key Stage 1 together with 2, together with for other secondary subjects.

I'm excited past times the function existence done at Burford School where they are making Pret Homeworks to friction match into their novel GCSE Schemes of Work. Their homeworks are real cleverly differentiated - these volition hold out uploaded to prethomework.weebly.com soon.

There's however lots of buzz unopen to Pret Homeworks. Have yous tried them yet? Do allow me know what yous think.

Huge thank yous to Kathryn Forster for the catch - she's been an inspiration to many.

My curt presentation from #TMEpsom is available here.